If you’ve been injured in a car accident, how do you know when you’ve found the right personal injury lawyer?
Why Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
A lawyer can help answer all your questions and assist you in filing a successful personal injury (PI) claim. In addition to their education and knowledge, an experienced personal injury lawyer can help:
- File a claim
- Prove liability
- Meet the deadlines
- Litigate your claim
- Explain all potential damages
- Secure a higher settlement
Many PI lawyers work on contingency fees. This means that the lawyer is paid a percentage of the settlement. If the lawyer does not achieve a settlement for the client, then the lawyer doesn’t get paid.
How Do I Find a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Follow the steps below to ensure you hire the best lawyer for your case:
- Do Your Research: Take advantage of websites like Yelp, Google, and Martindale Hubbell to learn about law firms in your area. Read reviews from past clients and see how their peers rate them. Remember to visit the firm’s website.
- Request a Free Initial Consultation: You are under no obligation to hire that particular lawyer. In fact, many people will “shop around,” booking initial consultations with a few lawyers before deciding who to hire.
- Ask Questions About Experience: During the initial consultation, ask questions about the lawyer’s background, including:
- How long have they been practicing?
- What law school did they attend?
- Do they also practice other areas of law?
- How much of their time is devoted to PI cases?
- How frequently do they handle cases like yours?
- Ask Questions About Your Case: A PI lawyer will assess your case in the initial consultation. Remember to ask the lawyer:
- What is their assessment of your case?
- Is it likely your case will go to trial?
- What kind of settlement or judgement should you expect?
- Approximately how long will it take to resolve your case?
- Ask Questions About Case Management and Fees: It is important to know upfront how your case will be handled and what sort of fees are involved. Pertinent questions include:
- Who are the people that will handle my case?
- Who will be the day-to-day contact? Is it best to call, or send an email? Are drop-ins allowed at the office?
- How will progress reports be provided?
- Does the lawyer work on contingency fee?
- If you are not awarded a settlement/judgement, do you owe the lawyer money?
- What sort of expenses will you have to pay?
In the end, the right PI lawyer is one that is competent, experienced, instills confidence, and makes you feel comfortable. Choose a lawyer that meets these criteria, and chances are you’ve chosen the right personal injury lawyer for you and your case.